Plaster, finally.


Not my house, clearly.

Long ago I mentioned my plaster problem. My walls are plaster, but not the good kind. The have little plaster zits (placne?) thanks to the plaster guy way back when pulling up on the trowell thingy and leaving little peaks and valleys all over the walls. It's like really expensive popcorn ceiling.

I've finally hired a plaster guy to come fix the walls. He's totally crazy. Like, maybe certifiable. He's Irish. He kept telling me, in his charming accent, that the job will cost $2500, but, "It will probabaly come in at half that." Okaaaaay. Well, then, let's pick a number? Can we do that? His total insanity finally proved victorious and I did what I never do. I was like, "Ok, fine. Show up on Monday," without settling on a final price. So, who knows what this will cost, but I am pretty sure it will be worth every penny, because I recently framed a bunch of maps and prints and I am dying to get them up on the walls, but taking that step to finally have things framed just made it worse. They look great but they make the walls look even worse.

Every project in my house is like dominos. I start thinking I want new floors, but then I realize I should fix the ceilings first before all that shit comes crashing down on newly stained wood, for example. And then I am like, well, before the floors, we should probably paint. Everything is like pulling a thread on a sweater.

I think this is why I am like, Whatever Crazy Irish Dude, just come fix the walls. Because I have to start somewhere.

Do you have a project you're eager to start, but it's held up by some other contingent task? I am eager to hear about this. I feel like I have made the slowest progress on my house and it's kind of turning me into a crazy person. And crazy likes company, so spill the beans.

(Oh, and after next week's plaster adventure, we ARE finally getting the popcorn off the ceiling upstairs, and then we are pulling up the carpet to see if we can re-finish, or if we need to do something drastic, like paint the floors white. Either way, we are finally making progress on that front. No word yet, though, in getting the toilet out of the tub. I thought that would be next, but that's going to be a spring project now. My birthday gift to my better half. Those contractors scared me off with their $40k bid.)